Re: [OM] How to open a T20 connector?

Subject: Re: [OM] How to open a T20 connector?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 00:32:00 +0000
At 22:24 12/2/01, John Hermanson wrote:
You just peel off the trim plate glued around the ttl socket.  No parts are
available for such accessories.

John Hermanson

I have two of these. Shortly after getting the second one, I noted it allowed a T-32 to wobble a little more than the first, although there was no rattle. Still, I didn't care for the slight wobbling. I'm guessing the T20 connectors were designed for the mass and stresses from a T-20 being mounted in them, and not a T-32. Using some epoxy and a toothpick I ran a bead of epoxy down each side of the shoe rail between it and the plastic body of the connector. Care was taken to keep the epoxy only along the side of the rail and the height of the bead below the top of the shoe. Mounting the shoe on a little table-tripod and using a small magnifier helped. Some of the first bead was pulled down into the thin gap between body and shoe (capillary action ??), so a little more epoxy was added to the bead before it set. Let them set for 24 hours so the epoxy would fully harden. Both now hold T-32's solid as a rock; no more slight flash head wobbling. They're mounted on a Newton flash bracket for using two T-32's side-by-side.

-- John