Re: [OM] An off-the-wall idea

Subject: Re: [OM] An off-the-wall idea
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 23:08:38 -0800
on 11/29/01 8:43 AM, Bill Stanke at bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Paul,
>
> I have a client who owns a machine shop.  They make all kind of short
> production runs of custom milled parts items that go into dentist
> chairs, etc.).
>
> I was going to approach the owner, and see if he could replicate the
> motor drive cover for the OM-1 and OM-2.  I expect that he would have to
> make at least 100 of the darn things, to cover the cost of setting up
> the CNC milling machine.
>
> I wouldn't mind doing this on a "break-even" basis, but I don't want to
> lose money on the deal.
>
> Question: is there a market for this item, and how much would someone
> pay for a replacement MD cover?  I was thinking $10 USD.
>
> Perhaps people could contact me off-list, and indicate if they would be
> willing to purchase MD covers made from a custom run.
>
> Bill Stanke

Bill, a good machinist can make damm near anything, but I think the OM-1 and
OM-2 motor drive covers are made from little stamped out pieces of metal,
one round and one more oblong, as it has the bayonet ears under it... might
be hard to machine one out as a one-piece. On the other hand, being very
small and mostly flat, if you machined up the dies getting them stamped in
brass wouldn't require too big a press, and then you could just nickel-plate
them for durable finish. A cover made that way, that fit, would be a good
deal at $10, I think they sell for more than that on e*ay...

One of my other camera lists (camera-fix on yahoo) just posted a guy in AZ
who makes some 'reproduction' parts for some cameras. I wonder if we could
convince him to make MD caps? Check out this link

http://www.kellycamera.com/products/remanufactured_parts.asp

--

Jim Brokaw