Re: [OM] Advising students

Subject: Re: [OM] Advising students
From: "M. Sparks" <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 17:16:40 -0500
OK, I'll weigh in.

I'd consider an inexpensive Yashica, like the FX-3, or Super 2000.  They
are reliable and if the kid gets hooked, he/she can trade up to
Contax/Zeiss.  Kyocera is serious about supporting and even expanding
its manual-focus line.  Downsides: No DOF on the 2000 and the FX-3 sheds
its leatherette---but that's easily fixed: I accept cash, checks and
PayPal :)

Another fine rig is the Mamiya MSX series, which goes by a few other
names, but look for ones that take the SX screw-mt. series of lenses.
This is an open-aperture metering setup (like the FTL).  About the only
thing you don't get is mirror/aperture prefire.  You do get DOF preview,
a really silky advance and low-impact shutter.  You also get a focus
screen that incorporates a field lens and can be removed for cleaning.
Let's see...the meter takes 1.5V cells, is very accurate and has both
spot and average metering.  The "spot" here is the central 10%, but
still a good way to show a student how to use their brain when making an
exposure.

And those on a tight budget can still feel good about about the
"Sears-Sekor SX" lenses!

Morgan Sparks