Re: [OM] Rangefinder?

Subject: Re: [OM] Rangefinder?
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 16:24:06 -0500
I have two Kiev RF's, a 4m and a 3. They're OK instruments, but nowhere near the sophistication of a Leica M; or the finish and workmanship of a Contax. But as was pointed out, they are only $75-100 from E.Europe, with a 50mm lens. It's a nice diversion for a good price. I also bought a 35/2.8 Biogon copy made in the USSR that works great on these cameras. You can also get new Voigtlander lenses that fit these cameras if you want to pay $5-600 (21, 25, 35).

The RF baseline is indeed longer than the longest M camera, the M3. But you have to use the "claw" technique to hold the thing. Your natural right hand position will almost always cover one of the rangefinder windows. This camera was an exact copy of the Contax II/III, and the post-war Contax revisions (the IIa/IIIa) solved this problem by decreasing the baseline and moving the RF window closer to the center of the camera. They are a LOT easier to hold. The best thing for a Kiev/Contax II/III is to have a grip or EV case to hold onto.

Skip

****** I M P O R T A N T   R E P L Y   I N F O ************
Please adddress ALL offlist messages to skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx
This hotmail.com email address is ONLY used for this mailing list subscription and I will probably not notice any private messages addressed here.