Re: [OM] Rangefinder? (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] Rangefinder? (OT)
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 01:15:46 -0000
Skip Williams wrote (re Kiev rangefinder cameras):
> The RF baseline is indeed longer than the longest M camera, the M3.  But
you
> have to use the "claw" technique to hold the thing.  Your natural right
hand
> position will almost always cover one of the rangefinder windows...

If you put your index finger on the shutter release and your second finger
on the focus wheel and infinity lock release, the problem sort of goes away.
I don't like the sharp d/a stop against my third finder though, so I always
try to use the case, the bottom half anyway (having replaced the rivet by
press studs) - more comfortable and it provides another defence against
light leaks.

>...This
> camera was an exact copy of the Contax II/III, and the post-war Contax
> revisions (the IIa/IIIa) solved this problem by decreasing the baseline
and
> moving the RF window closer to the center of the camera.  They are a LOT
> easier to hold....

They did the same with the Kiev 5, presumably for the same reason.

More Kiev info on my website - www.keithberry.telnco.co.uk/kiev-4.htm and an
on-line manual too.

Keith Berry
(Kievs 3a, 4, 4a, 5, 4m, 4am)