Re: [OM] Rangefinder? [OT]

Subject: Re: [OM] Rangefinder? [OT]
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 09:44:15 -0800
Without getting into the technicalities, the advantages to a rangefinder over
an SLR are that the rangefinder camera 'can be' significantly quieter.
Compared to most SLR (not OMs) the rangefinder cameras and lenses are more
compact. There is no blackout at time of exposur so you may have a better
idea of whether you got the shot or not. They 'can be' quicker/easier to
focus, especially with wide angle or slow lenses. In general a good, properly
adjusted rangefinder will give you more accurate focusing with lenses from
super wide angle through portrait length (say 100mm) teles. The rangefinder
can have a brighter viewfinder. Lenses can be particularily compact. It is
genrerally easier to design high quality lenses, particualrily wide angles
for the rangefinder body because of the flange to film plane distance. Of
course like anything, most of these advantages apply to the better
quality/top end units. If you have never used a good quality rangefinder
camera you should give it a try. It is usually a love/hate thing, people
either love em or hate em. Having learned photography on a rangefinder camera
(not even a good one at that!) I have a soft spot in my head, er heart, for
them.

Jim Couch