Re: [OM] Fungus in my 50/1.4 MC?

Subject: Re: [OM] Fungus in my 50/1.4 MC?
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 10:47:23 +1100
>There are some 1.4s with white bubbles in the black paint on the back of the
>front group.  This is around the perimeter.  If this is the case,
>replacement is probably your only option, if you can find them.  If the
>clear area of the element is misted, possible it can be cleaned.  Sometimes,
>I open a lens to find that the damage is inside a cemented group.
>
>John  Hermanson

If this is really around the very edge of a lens element, it seems to occur
in a number of lenses without real problems. The classic example is the
28mm for the Minolta (Leica) CLE which almost always has the dreaded white
spots around the edges of the front elements  - doesn't affect the image at
all from what I've heard but looks terrible. It's a glue problem, not
fungus. Unfortunately, doesn't seem to affect the price much either - nice
and very expensive lens. I'm hoping one day to convince someone to sell me
one cheap because of this 'serious' problem. :)
AndrewF