Re: [OM] ANOTHER FAVOR

Subject: Re: [OM] ANOTHER FAVOR
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 14:19:54 -0600
Cc: <gries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Netscape users can't take a joke, can they :)

I was just kidding!  Right or wrong, I find it convenient that IE accepts
it.

Tom

> At 11:26 AM 16/11/2001 -0600, Tom Scales wrote:
> >Yes, that's a weakness of Netscape. If you replace the space with %20
then
> >both browsers can handle it.
>
> Tom:
>
> Not to quibble ( 8^> ), but RFC 1738 states otherwise.  An embedded space
in a URL is considered an "unsafe" character, to wit: "The space character
is unsafe because significant spaces may disappear and insignificant spaces
may be introduced when URLs are transcribed or typeset or subjected to the
treatment of word-processing programs."  The human eye can also be fooled --
"Is that one space or two?"  It's also possible that some gateway servers or
other edge devices can translate the space character to something else,
which is why it's best to avoid it altogether.

> Netscape does it right -- IE's "acceptance" of the embedded space is a
compromise hack, and a bad one at that.