Re: [OM] Difference Between the 50mm Zuiko Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Difference Between the 50mm Zuiko Lenses
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 12:48:26 -0500
Cc: royer007@xxxxxxxxx
I agree with your posting on the 50/2. It's my favorite of all the 50's in the Zuiko line (and I've used them all). Very sharp, very versatile. (Unfortunately, expensive vs the others).

I think that the 50/1.2 is a bit over-rated. It's only 1/2 stop faster than the 1.4, which you pay dearly for. (It is significantly brighter in the finder though.) The bokeh is very nice, but the DOF at f/1.2 is REALLY small and very easy to mis-focus. Given the wide latitude of today's negative films, I don't see the reason for having one. Vs. the f/1.4, a 1/2 stop underexposure will print fine for most subjects. I sold mine. As an aside, I've never had really good images out of a 1.4, so I like the 1.8's more. The shots always seemed to be soft.

In summary, I'd stick with the 50/1.8 to get used to the 50mm focal length. If you want more light, the 1.4 gets you 2/3 stop more. The 50/2 is the most versatile/best quality, but costs $$.

In fact, for the price, a $150 50/3.5 is probably the most versatile of all if you don't need the extra speed.

Skip

****** I M P O R T A N T   R E P L Y   I N F O ************
Please adddress ALL offlist messages to skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx
This hotmail.com email address is ONLY used for this mailing list subscription and I will probably not notice any private messages addressed here.