Re: [OM] 8mm Fisheye question

Subject: Re: [OM] 8mm Fisheye question
From: The Butler Family <butlerfamly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 07:37:45 -0800
> Mark Dapoz wrote:
>I don't know what it is about the rear elements of the 8mm <snip>
>
>I think Jim Couch replied:
>
><snip> I wonder if the problem is fungus, or is it separation of the
rear two elements. <snip>

>Then Jim Brokaw commented:
>
><snip> There were some kind of almost opaque coverage, and trying to
clean that
>off didn't work with progressively stronger 'home remedies'. Has anyone
used
>an ultrasonic cleaner machine for lens elements?<snip>
>
> John Hermanson mentioned:
>
>Groups can be separated and then recemented, but I've never done it.
There
>are shops that specialize in it.

To those of you that are interested still...  Here is a web site that
was mentioned the last time this issue came up.

http://www.focalpointlens.com/fp_intro.html

The usual disclaimers apply...

To Jim Brokaw and anyone willing to make the trek,

I have three or four ultrasonic cleaners here at work you are welcome to
use after hours.  From my experience, having the ultrasonic cleaning
tank is only half the battle.  The real magic comes from the solution in
the tank.  What works best depends entirely on the gunk you are trying
to remove.  I don't know if you could fill the tank with Ponds Cold
Cream, but I recall that as being one of John Hermanson's reccomendation
in the past for fungus removal.  It seems that the 8mm lens is probably
on the list of lenses worth an expensive repair effort.

Good luck to all.

Mike Butler
Dublin, California