Re: [OM] 8mm Fisheye question

Subject: Re: [OM] 8mm Fisheye question
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 20:10:31 -0800
on 11/12/01 2:02 PM, John Hermanson at omtech@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> It's "funny" that Olympus Japan would say that was discontinued 17 years ago
> when they are still being sold as NEW within only the last 3-4 years.
>
> John  Hermanson

Well now, that does seem strange. Maybe all the production stopped 17 years
ago...? The text of my letter reads:

... "We have received your letter of August 5 inquiring for the lens
elements for Zuiko 800 (sic) Fish Eye lens. Our records sho that the 8mm
Fish Eye lens was discontinued 17 years ago, and we no longer carry any
spare parts for this lens. Therefore we are unable to fill your needs. We
sincerely appreciate your interest in Olympus and are very sorry that we
cannot be more helpful about this matter."

Signed "S. Takezawa, Customer Services"

I'd sure like to know if maybe the parts are still around in a different
division... guess I'll call Olympus US tomorrow.

Sort of related question, anyone know if the 16/3.5 has a similar parts
situation? I thought those are still around new, so I didn't ask about that
one, but I need one (rear again!) element for one of those. Its almost
usable, if you wanted a 'soft-focus' full-frame fisheye, for special
portraiture or something...
--

Jim Brokaw
Rescuerer of damaged and orphaned Zuikos...