[OM] Help: picture accepted for publication, but what to do...?!?

Subject: [OM] Help: picture accepted for publication, but what to do...?!?
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 14:56:39 +0100
Hi,

Yes you're reading it correctly: last Saturday I received a letter from
www.picture.com saying that a picture I had sent in for their free
photography contest has now advanced to the semi-final and that it has been
chosen for publication in the book "Life's Gallery (by The International
Library of Photography)". :)))

The picture in question is: http://www.picture.com/display.asp?ID=927912

Now, of course I was very proud to read all this (and according to the
letter, "Of the thousand photographs we [i.e. they] see each year, only a
fraction can be published" [sic]), so this feels good in that respect. Other
positive things are that I retain the copyright of the picture and that
publication doesn't cost a thing.

Now, the book will have approximately 250 (8.5 X 11" (= 21.5 X 28 CM))
pages, is hardbound, and from a picture of a similar book, it seems each
page will have approximately 6 pictures, so that would mean that the book
would include some 1500 pictures, and that each picture is printed in a
relatively small size (that is, if each page indeed has 6 pictures).

So what's the catch? Well, included with the letter is an offer for
pre-ordering the book for $69.95 (or $59.95 per copy when ordering two
books), which according to them is a $20 discount over their normal price.
Yet, I just checked my entry, and over there the price mentioned for the
book is also $69.95, so this supposed discount seems to be a fake. Also, for
$25 one can send in a short description of the picture and of oneself, but
this will only be included if one actually buys a book. P&H is $8 in the US,
and $11 outside the US (per book!). Sooooo, the prices would be:
-1 book, p&h, no additional text: $80.95
-1 book, p&h, additional text: $105.95
-2 books, p&h, no additional text: $141.90
-2 books, p&h, additional text: $165.90
...and that is my main issue, as these prices seem mighty steep to me, and
the photographers don't get a single penny for their work (unless they win a
prize in the contest).

Now, what I'm looking for is general advice, and also, I'd particularly like
answers to the following questions:
-Does any of you have any experience with www.picture.com and/or with The
International Library of Photography?
-What is your general perception of this offer/opportunity?
-What would _you_ do? Personally, I think I will at least grant permission
for publication (free for me, and my picture appears in a pretty nicely
looking book, and I will retain the copyright of the picture), but how about
the other options? Do I order a book? Do I include additional text?

Oh yes, to make this message on topic: the picture in question was taken
with my OM-4Ti and the 35-70/4 (which I sold when I obtained the 35-80/2.8),
and it is probably my best picture so far.

Cheers!
Olafo