Re: [OM] Leonids (But what lens & film)

Subject: Re: [OM] Leonids (But what lens & film)
From: "Ralf Loi" <ralf_loi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 12:56:50 +0100
Warren wrote:

<<
I got sidetracked in the star trails discussions where
they say that the f number isn't important but that
the physical aperture of the lens is due to the stars
being a point source of light. But a meteor is just a
regular object and not a point source so both maximum
aperture of the lens and film type are important.

I have several lens I can use, from 16/3.5, 24/2,
28/2, 50/1.4, 80/2, 100/2, Vivitar 135/2.3 and I
haven't bought film yet. What would the group
recommend? If I could get 20 to 30 visible meteors on
a fisheye shot, I would be quite happy.

I was thinking ISO 400 or 800 negative film might be
the best film to use. Again, what would the group
recommend.

The problem with meteor photo it that the meteor move fast, so its light
is spreaded. In addition, leonids are mainly faint, altough there are some
very bright. For this reason you need a fast lens, and a very fast film,
with
the minimum of reciprocity failure.
Two year ago I had the chance to see the leonid storm (maximum was
around 2am in Italy): the spectacle is unforgettable!
As for the photo part: I was with the 28/2 and 21/3.5 and Schotch 800-3200
processed at 1600. My conclusion are that the 21 is too wide and not fast
enough, and the 28/2 is good. The film was also good, but I'm not finding
it anymore. You could try Ektachrome 200 (pro) exposed at 800 (I've seen
nice star pics), or Provia 100F exposed at 400/800, since it should be the
commercial film with less reciprocity failure. Maybe faster film can do
better with short exp time, since with the 28, exposure up to 30 seconds
(approximately) does not show any trails in the stars.
The fisheye could also be a good lens to use: point it to the zenit and
shot!
Have fun!

Ralf Loi