Fwd: Re: [OM] Leonids (But what lens & film)

Subject: Fwd: Re: [OM] Leonids (But what lens & film)
From: cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 19:39:42 +0000

Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:18:30 +0000
From: Roger Wesson <ucaprwe@xxxxxxxxx>
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [OM] Leonids (But what lens & film)

Meteors are still point sources - moving ones, that's all.  I've read
somewhere (can't remember where so this claim is uns*ubstantiated) that
the best compromise between aide aperture and decent sky coverage is a
fast 50mm lens.  My strategy will be to take my two camera bodies with
me to Oz (I'll be in or around Canberra) and have one with a 28/2.8
doing trails on 100 speed film, the other with a 50/1.8 doing lots and
lots and lots of 20s shots on 1600 film.  Might slip on my fisheye
adaptor for a while as well - I think that could result in a fine, fine
shot.

Barn door mount is a good idea.  I built one some years ago, and I found
it adequate for 10 minute exposures, which would get you a hell of a lot
of meteors if the storm happens according to predictions.

Roger

"W.Xato" wrote:

 I am going to try to build a barndoor star tracker
 that is large enough to hold 3 OM bodies. I guess I'll
 use my 2 OM-1s and an OM-3.

 I got sidetracked in the star trails discussions where
 they say that the f number isn't important but that
 the physical aperture of the lens is due to the stars
 being a point source of light. But a meteor is just a
 regular object and not a point source so both maximum
 aperture of the lens and film type are important.

 I have several lens I can use, from 16/3.5, 24/2,
 28/2, 50/1.4, 80/2, 100/2, Vivitar 135/2.3 and I
 haven't bought film yet. What would the group
 recommend? If I could get 20 to 30 visible meteors on
 a fisheye shot, I would be quite happy.

 I was thinking ISO 400 or 800 negative film might be
 the best film to use. Again, what would the group
 recommend.

 Thanks in advance.

 =====
 Warren Xato