RE: [OM] Lenses: The Good, the Bad, and the Average.

Subject: RE: [OM] Lenses: The Good, the Bad, and the Average.
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 20:16:13 +1100

> Sorry, to bore you with this, but is it the workmanship or is it the lens
> sharpness that is at issue with the non "made in Japan" lenses? thanks.

The "Made in Japan" is (supposedly) a newer optical design, mechanical
design is also somewhat different to the earlier lenses, but in my opinion
the newer design is cheaper with more plastic.  However, I've never actually
heard of anyone "wearing out" a 50mm f1.8 and even if they did it so so
cheap to replace it.  Before I discovered this list I made the stupid
mistake of getting a 50mm f1.8 repaired, it cost more than I could have
bought a better used one.

Wayne Harridge
Ivanhoe, Victoria, Australia
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~w_harridge/