RE: [OM] SUV's and Zuiko's

Subject: RE: [OM] SUV's and Zuiko's
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 22:51:20 -0800
Various-sized 4WD (at least originally) trucks, as opposed to 4WD
automobiles. Unfortunately, two things appear to be the norm, recently.

1. Most "SUVs" never see anything resembling the lack of a road. They've
become urban/suburban status symbols. Commonly called "UAVs" around here
(Urban Assault Vehicles) as they never do any sporting or utiliting.

2. The more radical among the self-named "environmentally aware" seem to
think that they're solely responsible for most of the world's environmental
ills. This despite the fact that at least one model SUV has earned at least
a "Low Emission Vehicle" (maybe even an "Ultra Low Emission Vehicle," I
forget...) recognition from the California (strict) and US (not as strict)
EPA, and that a number of others rate no worse than many automobiles.

Some of us actually use them for the purpose(s) for which they were designed
:-) Being one of those folks, I proudly own two. One small--a Suzuki
Samurai, known many places overseas as a Sierra--and one medium--a Toyota
Land Cruiser. Both are of relatively middle age (13 and 12 years old
respectively) and both see their share of trails, hauling, *deep unplowed
snow* and similar things.

Like anything else, some people use things, some abuse them.

Obligatory OM content: ALL my Olympus gear fits in either one. However in
the smaller one it doesn't all fit if I want much camping gear along. :-)

End of my politically incorrect monologue for the month--at least on-list.
Those highly offended, righteously indignant or otherwise inclined to
castigate me may do so *off list* please. I'm happy to entertain all comers
:-)

Oh, and Henrik? Add an "e" to the end of "hemorrhag". <big grin> English
spelling rulelessness sucks, no?

---
Scott Gomez