RE: [OM] Lenses: The Good, the Bad, and the Average.

Subject: RE: [OM] Lenses: The Good, the Bad, and the Average.
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 16:48:49 -0800
Hi Dean,

Of the ones in my experience:

24/2.8 Nice sharp fairly wide, wide angle. Mine is, I believe of the
multicoated variety. The hardest thing to learn with them is that one needs
to step much closer than one would think when using one (something I still
haven't really learned).

50/1.8 Cheap, reasonably fast and nice performers, especially the "made in
Japan" on the front ones as others have noted for you already. Price-wise
they're a true bargain.

50/1.4 A bit faster and much harder to find a nice sample of, IMHO. I've got
3 or four around here now, of which I think exactly *one* is truly in good
shape. For some reason there seem to be a lot of fungus-y examples of these,
so be careful. Nice lens if you find a good one, however.

50/3.5 macro Much slower than the standard 50mm lenses, but a wonderful lens
in its own right. Sharp, nice bokeh, and being able to focus from macro all
the way to infinity makes it a good lens to carry when traveling light.

135/3.5 Inexpensive and a nice performer. Another Zuiko bargain in my
opinion. I've used both silvernose and later black-nose versions, and none
has ever been a problem for me. I seem to "see" well at this focal length
also.

135/2.8 The extra bit of light-gathering in this lens makes it just that
much more useful than the 3.5 variety. I really, really like the pictures
obtained form this lens. One of my all-time favorites.

200/4 Not too large, not too heavy, Nice telephoto.

Personally, of the lenses I have, as noted above, if I had to keep only 3,
I'd keep the 24/2.8, the 50/3.5 macro and the 135/2.8, for a flexible kit
with which I could be assured of good shots. Ratings-wise I'd personally
rate all the above as "better than average" and only the 135/2.8 as "great."
This is a real "sleeper" of a lens, IMO.

I'm sure you'll get a zillion more opinions as the evening wears on. ..

---
Scott Gomez