Re: [OM] Re: 35-70/ 3.6

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: 35-70/ 3.6
From: "Bernd Moeller" <dsl33687a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 16:36:42 +0100
Hi Pawel,

> No scientific, or "semi-scientific" test results, but you can see some
> pictures taken with it on my website (each picture has a description
> including the lens used):
>
> http://www.gen.emory.edu/cmm/people/staff/pgolik/photography/index.html

Those are some amazing pictures!

> Note however, that these have been scanned using a flatbed scanner, not a
> dedicated slide/negative unit, and in most cases are much sharper when viewed
> on screen or with a loupe. Generally, I'm quite pleased with this lens and it
> is often my main lens (along with Zuikos 50/1.8 and 28/3.5).

Yes you're right - it's impossible to judge sharpness this way.

> Yes, that's the one. All metal, very solid, feels a bit heavy on an OM body,
> but can still be handheld comfortably. Two-touch zoom design, but on my lens
> the zooming action became looser with age, so that it can be easily used like
> a push-pull one touch. Large and comfortable focusing ring. The aperture ring
> is too small though and close to the mount, so it's quite difficult to
> control when holding the camera to the eye. The DOF preview is a small lever,
> much less comfortable than the buttons of the true Zuikos, finding it without
> taking your eye away from the viewfinder will require some getting used to.

I don't think it is worse than handling the Zuiko 3.5-4.5 35-70. There the
aperture ring is even smaller and can more easily be mistaken with the zoom
ring. I like the big diametre, though. It handles fine.

> I am constantly tempted by the Zuiko 35-70/3.6 because of those ergonomy
> complaints I have with the Tamron, but I think that in terms of image quality
> they'd be comparable. The close focusing capability is also very nice and
> quite useful. And I already have some 58mm filters.

If you say that this could be a competitor to the Zuiko 3.6, then I'd rather
start shooting some test images with the Tamron along with my small Zuiko zoom
and probably some primes.

Best regards

Bernd