[OM] E-20 - more observations -- realistically this is OT

Subject: [OM] E-20 - more observations -- realistically this is OT
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 22:50:32 -0600
Well, I spent about an hour this afternoon wandering around the neighborhood
and shooting anything that caught my fancy. I actually did it while I was on
a conference call, for work, on my cell phone.  They kept asking "what's
that noise" as cars drove by and horns honked.  Might do it again tomorrow
<g>.

First, this thing holds a lot of shots. In TIFF mode, it holds 66 shots at
15mb a piece. I shot some of those, but they take a little longer to save,
so I switched to JPEG mode (3-4MB).  In that mode, I have almost 300 shots
on the card.  Hard to fill up.

So, again a random thought dump.

- The difference between TIFF and JPEG is small, but I think I can see it
when I am editing the end result. Perhaps I am imagining it, as it is small.
- The useability of the camera is outstanding. It is quite easy to handhold
even with difficult shots. The controls are pretty easy to learn.
- The macro mode works wonderfully.  It even autofocuses well, although a
couple shots I switched to manual -- also easy to do.
- I have been pleasantly surprised at the Bokeh. Much smoother than I
expected from a zoom digicam.
- Switching modes is easy. I shot mostly in Program mode, but switched to
shutter preferred when the wind was blowing a flower. I switched to aperture
prefererd when I wanted to control depth of field. All worked well.
- The end results need virutally no work in Photoshop. The levels are better
from the camera than when I autolevel.  Unsharp mask is, for the most part,
a waste of time.
- I haven't printed yet, but clearly up to 8x10 will be hard to distinguish
from 35mm. I'll print a 13x19 just to see what happens.
- I was surprised, in the first shot, that there was no redeye problem. Just
a quick snap with the flipup flash.

I probably have more thoughts, but it's late and I'm tired, so let's get to
the results.

Here's the webpage: http://www.scales.tzo.com/Tom-E20-20011007/index.htm

Most are not very good, but I left them all so you can see some variety.
Some personal favorites are:

http://scales.tzo.com:200/Tom-E20-20011007/pages/PB070076.htm
http://scales.tzo.com:200/Tom-E20-20011007/pages/PB070087.htm (note the
spider web)