Re: [OM] Wyoming Trip

Subject: Re: [OM] Wyoming Trip
From: James M Costello <jamie-nancy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 06:34:43 -0500
On Tue, 06 Nov 2001 23:13:06 -0500 Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:
> Hi y'all,
>
> Executive Summary:  Made a trip to Wyoming and posted some
> pictures:
>
> http://people.atl.mediaone.net/jjohnso4/images/index.htm

Wow ... Gorgeous shots.    You did a great job of capturing the power,
even considering what you had to work with.  Isn't it amazing what
happens when you combine some mountains, some dry air ...

When I was much younger, I worked in the recording industry in NYC.  I
got to work with some interesting musicians; some, not all, were world
class.   On one session we did, the session drummer's kit hadn't arrived
from the studio transport service and he was forced to use our (the
studio's Slingerland?) drum kit.   After he tuned it up and changed a few
heads (we polished the cymbals for him) he started to play so that we
could do some mic placement and get some levels before everyone else
arrived.   In our haste, we quickly put up some low sensitivity dynamic
mics (Shure 57's, I think).   We didn't really have time to do the normal
"worrying" of the situation that was usually routine.   The session
turned out alright, but what amazed everyone was how incredible the drums
sounded.   Other engineers couldn't believe we got THAT sound out of
THOSE drums.   The point being, WE didn't do anything, the drummer, Steve
Gadd, got THAT sound out of THOSE drums.   WE, simply, didn't screw it
up.

None of the above is meant, in any way, to detract from what you were
able to capture or your obvious skills as a photographer.   It was meant
as a simple observation as to the wisdom of traveling from GA to
Yellowstone in the first place: great scenery mostly = great pictures.

I really enjoyed them.   It sounds like you had a great trip.

Jamie Costello