Re: [OM] 300 4.5

Subject: Re: [OM] 300 4.5
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:49:22 -0700
In a message dated 10/24/2001 Winsor Crosby writes:

<< The 1 series OM screens are ground glass. I understand the
coarser the grind the more they snap into focus. You may want to use
a more modern 2 series screen which definitely looks different than a
series 1 if your camera will take it. Some people on the list(I am
not among them) think they focus easier. >>

To better try and illustrate what I was trying to explain about my first
experience shooting with the 2-4 screen, have a look at this shot:
http://motorsportvisions.com/lscart01/pages/cd1_32.htm

This is a location I know well, best in morning light (for what that's
worth), but is always technically challenging for me shooting manual
focus one shot at a time. Oh sure, I could use an AF wunderbrick, or I
could blast away at 5.5fps and just pick the best one (hoping that I
happen to catch the right 5th of a second)--or both--but I also take
some pride in being able to time my shutter release point at just that
right moment my mind predicts is when I want to capture the image. It is
simply more rewarding that way--for me. I am not focusing on the moving
car like an AF system would. Rather I am pre-focusing (which is a pretty
typical and tradtional techinique) and timing my release point. This
shot is not easy even with street cars at track events and these 900+ HP
monsters called Champ Cars are the biggest challenge I face at this
location. I would estimate this car was coming at me doing something in
the order of 130-150mph (this is right at the start of the braking
point). The lens used was 490mm (350/2.8 with 1.4XA) at probably f4 or
5.6 so DOF was virtually nil. With the 2-4 screen was able to predict my
release point so much better--I knew while I was shooting, and more
importantly I saw when editing due to the much lower amount of tossed
shots from this location.

I guess what I am trying to say, in a long winded way, is I don't
"think" series 2 screens focus easier, for my purposes at least, I
"know" they do after only one weekend shooting with one. OTOH, if the
series 1 screens work best for a given set of eyes and are the right
tool for the job, I have no problem with that. Personally, I have seen
the extra light of the 2 series and do not want to go back (and have an
extra 1-13 now).

I see now that there are good reasons why as soon as John H gets them
off backorder they all get gobbled up in no time. I think I need another
one for my OM-2S (maybe two since I have two of those bodies...dang
budgets).

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com