Re: [OM] Custom OM leathers (followup)

Subject: Re: [OM] Custom OM leathers (followup)
From: "M. Sparks" <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:35:42 -0400
Instead of putting leather on a lens, I picked up some junk, no-name 135
2.8's and cannibalized the focus grips.  Cut to size with an X-Acto
knife and use Pliobond or double-sided tape on your Zuiko.  If you look
around, you can even find junkers with focus grips similar to the
Oly-style grid.

When applying any of my leather kits, the only OM's that require any
real use of tools are OM-1's and 2's.  The 2S, any 3 or 4, any Pen F or
rangefinder is just a peel-and-stick job.  I did make a punch plate that
turns any OM-1 or 2 kit into a peel/stick job, too . . . if you check
the picture of the original pseudo-leather kit Olympus Japan offered
(it's on Camtech's site) you can see what you get: the channel between
the self-timer and lensmount is gone, and the cutaway for the self-timer
pod is bigger.  So you end up putting the new leather *around* the
self-timer bezel, not *underneath* it.  You really need to have no faith
in your hobby skills for this modification!

Also, John H. does a great job with these if you send them in as part of
a CLA.

Thanks again to everyone on the list for their support and feedback!

Morgan Sparks