Re: [OM] (OT) Of Wilderness, OMs and Leicas (kinda long)

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Of Wilderness, OMs and Leicas (kinda long)
From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 12:18:21 -0400
One of the things I enjoy about living in the woods 30 miles from Charlotte, NC is the wildlife. Most any night, after finishing with the OM list, I can go out on my porch and hear owls and sometimes even a bobcat.

I have to be cautious of opossums on the porch if I leave food out for the cats. I have to watch where I walk because of the webs draped between trees and ground, (the variety of spiders in their webs is amazing) and because the occasional copperhead has been seen around.

What I don't worry about is bumping into people. I would rather confront wildlife day or night, in an open field or in the woods, than run across a human where I don't expect them to be. It's much safer without them around!

Gregg

Just returned from a beautiful weeklong getaway to NE WA with family.  We saw
mule and white tail deer, nephew spotted a bobcat, I managed to photograph a
snowshoe hare at sunrise, a small two point mule deer buck about an hour
later, a bald eagle.  Missed the opportunity to capture a Kingfisher (right
at the camp at lakeside) and a loon (too dark out -- maybe 800 ASA might have
done it).

Heard an owl every night, and coyotes singing.  When it wasn't snowing (two
nights), I left the door of my tent unzipped and marveled at the stars, much
more prevalent in the more complete darkness there.