Re: [OM] (OT) Of Wilderness, OMs and Leicas (kinda long)

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Of Wilderness, OMs and Leicas (kinda long)
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 01:38:10 EDT

And then Wayne wrote:
>  I presume the Indians are allowed to do that, in Australia the >Aborigines
are permitted by law to take any (otherwise protected) >wildlife for food.

Yep.  The native Americans are allowed to hunt for food, for tribal
ceremonial items (like bald eagle claws, feathers, a federal offense for
anyone else to possess), medicinal items, etc..  It bothers some a lot,
especially the commercial fishermen, who hate the fact that the Indians can
take half the catch in the rivers and on Puget Sound.  But it was their land
first, and their rights are spelled out in the treaties.

Rich