Re: [OM] Obnoxious TOPE visitor

Subject: Re: [OM] Obnoxious TOPE visitor
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:21:44 EDT
Maciek, One man's opinion.  This list exists for the mutual benefit of its
members.  It is a forum for the exchange of ideas and information
specifically about and around the Olympus OM camera system and sometimes of a
rather general nature as it relates to photography.  There are times where
things will get a little off topic and the group will usually make attempts
to bring the conversation back closer to center.  There are many other venues
for discussion of a myriad of other topics.  This doesn't happen to be one of
them.  Some of the things I find particularly enjoyable about the list is the
wide variety knowledge which is freely exchanged, the camaraderie of the
members, the resource it is for finding the hard to find pieces of Olympus
equipment, a general acceptance of each member for who they are and where
they are with their photography and probably most importantly each members
willingness to help other members.  I also enjoy the good natured teasing
which often occurs.  This, in my opinion, being a sign of pretty healthy
people and relationships.

This being said, the person in question, in my opinion communicates on the
most base level.  His participation has generated not much more than an
extremely negative energy while revealing his inadequacies and IMHO a
dissatisfaction with life and others.  It is quite frankly a sad situation
and one that he may need to deal with, but not one with which we on the list
don't need to be involved.

Interesting observation about people or the lack there of in the photographs
in TOPE 7.  Where I to review all the photographs I have made over the years,
the ones with which I am most pleased would be the people pictures I've made.
 Perhaps the ones I am most displeased with are also people pictures. One s
where things were "right" and I just didn't capture on film what I was trying
to capture.  Photographing people has become more of a chore over the years
as "model releases" have become mandatory if one wants to actually use their
images.  A supply of a simple version of a model release, printed on a 4 X 6
card is part of the "kit" I carry.  They reside in the back zipper
compartment of my Tamrac case.  Getting one signed is like many other things
in life.  If you don't ask, you don't get.  There have been times when I
asked prior to taking the photograph, where the image was lost because of the
intrusion and there have also been many times when the image was made because
the subject was thrilled to be included and had become part of the process.
I usually say something like, "Hello, I'm Bill Barber, and I am an amateur
photographer.  Sometimes I enter contest all of which require I give them a
model release to enter my photographs. Would you give me permission to use
your picture?" as I say this I am holding out a model release for them to
sign along with a pen.  I also shut up and wait for them to respond.  Most
will say yes.  The short answer to your question might be that we are shy and
don't want to deal with getting a model release.  Getting past each of these
is a little like riding a bicycle.  The more you do it, the better you get.

OM content: Dang I love my OM cameras and this OM list.

Bill Barber