[OM] 21mm vs. 24mm

Subject: [OM] 21mm vs. 24mm
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 14:43:54 +0200
Hi guys,

Well, the plot thickens: last week I visited the store I'm building the site
for and I checked out the 21mm lens the owner has. It's a cute silvernose
21/3.5 and I gave it a spin on a camera. Then, I compared it against the
24/2.8 the owner also has, and I found that there's little gain in the angle
of view. Therefore, I'm no in doubt once more, and this is being compounded
by the fact that the owner also has a very nice 24/2 in his store...

As mentioned previously, at present I already have the 24/2.8 and the 28/2.
Therefore, I was thinking the 21/2 or the 21/3.5 might be a better choice
than the 24/2. As the difference in angle of view between the 24/2.8 and the
21/3.5 was less than I initially expected, I'm now positive I will at least
go for one of the F2 lenses, as the 1 stop gain is more valuable to me than
the "3mm difference" gain. Yet, I'd to hear some opinions as to whether the
21/2 is much nicer and/or more desirable than the 24/2 (especially given the
fact that I already have a 28/2 and a 24/2.8). I believe Giles once
mentioned that both have about the same amount of wave form distortion. Is
that correct?

Also, if anyone has owned both the 24/2 as well as the 21/2, can they tell
me how they feel the 21/2 compares against the 24/2? Then, given the fact
that the 24/2.8 I have is an X. Zuiko, do you think I'll gain a lot by
obtaining a 24/2 (obvious advantages: MC vs. SC, 1 stop faster)?

Finally, is there any 21/2 owner out there that might be interested in a
21/2 against 24/2 swap?

I'm a bit indecisive, so I could use some advise as to what to do...

Thanks in advance and cheers!
Olafo