Re: [OM] 40/f2 at KEH $$$ Yikes!

Subject: Re: [OM] 40/f2 at KEH $$$ Yikes!
From: John Robison <omrobison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 22:36:12 -0700 (PDT)
--- Martin G Flink <mgflink@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In Modern Photography Dec '85 40mm f2.0 $84.95 at
> 47st Photo...A few other
> ads for about the same...What is with this lens?  Is
> it because its so
> compact?   One of my favorites is the 35mm f2.0 at
> considerably less
> cost...Marty

  There is really nothing special about this lens
IMHO. It's a fine, very compact lens, but rarity has
inflated its selling price all out of proportion to
performance. The 35 f2 is larger but much more
reasonable pricewise. It's the lens that attached to
my most used body most of the time. I obtained my 35
f2 almost by chance, I was in the market for a 35mm
Zuiko and I wanted a 2.8 because of compactness. But
after several months of not locating a 2.8 I saw this
really clean f2 at a local camera shop for $90 so I
thought I'll buy it and trade it for a 2.8 when I find
one, but after useing it for a short time I felt it
was a keeper.       John Robison