Re: [OM] Zuiko 1.2

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 1.2
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 13:27:31 -0700
The 50mm f1.2 represented a significant improvement over the 55mm.

If you want to use that focal length for the night sky my counsel would be to pick up a 50mm f1.8, which can be had for a song. I'd go to KEH and get the best they list, which means it would come in pristine condition if it's rated anywhere near "Good" or above. If there is a difference in performance between the f1.8 and the 55mm it'd be that images captured by the former are crisper with more contrast. At least that was my experience many years ago when I tried a 55mm loaned to me for a short while by a friend. The f1.8 is an excellent lens and the difference in speed is not something I'd worry much over. The 50mm f1.2 might edge out the f1.8 in performance by a hair or two, but the difficulties in the field (with focus in mind when opened up) it presents the photographer pretty much sacrifice this advantage for all intents and purposes. The 50mm f1.2 is a superb lens . . . when you have time to set it up correctly.

I have a couple of 50mm f1.2's (I picked up the second one a couple of months ago just because it was available) and they're both in pretty good shape. If you want to buy one (or wish to experiment with one for awhile) let me know.

Tris

Does anyone know which of the 1.2 Zuikos were better than the other. I have the opportunity to get either a 55mm 1.2 or the 50mm 1.2 (the 55 seems to be in better shape). I plan on using it for astrophotography, so the 55 will likely be better as it has a larger light gathering surface. Any insight (which one older, better coatings one one? etc....) Also, which one may have better collectors value?

Thanks,
-Bill