Re: AW: [OM] Re: 8mm on eBay

Subject: Re: AW: [OM] Re: 8mm on eBay
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 19:36:26 -0700
on 10/8/01 9:48 AM, Tom Scales at tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I got to see one recently when I 'couried' it for an overseas listmember to
> another listmember.  What a cool lens.  The glass on that thing is simply
> amazing.  Can't figure out why I need one, but......
>
> It went to a good home and is being used for astrophotography, which seems
> to be a perfect use for it.
>
> Tom

Immersive panoramas... AKA 'virtual reality' pictures. With a fisheye you
can do it in about 3-4 images, so there is less stitching to do. One web
page I studied trying to learn about this used a full-frame fisheye and did
it in about 5 pictures, but the 180 degree coverage in theory would only
require two, in practice you'd probably want three to get about 60 degrees
overlap at the edges. I have this vision of laying on my back in the tall
trees grove at Redwood National Park and shooting the sunlight filtering
through 360+ foot tall redwoods...
--

Jim Brokaw