Re: [OM] Fisheye question: was 8mm on eBay

Subject: Re: [OM] Fisheye question: was 8mm on eBay
From: Thomas Bryhn <thomas.bryhn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 19:45:04 +0200
At 19:04 08.10.01, Roger Wesson wrote:
Hmm. This has got me thinking.  8mm at f/2.8 = 2.9mm absolute aperture.
For astrophotography purposes this is small.  Now, I've got a 0.42x
adaptor thing that screws onto a 49mm filter thread, giving a circle
frame fisheye when used with a 28mm lens.  It seems to me that, as it's
a 28/2.8 lens, with adaptor it must effectively be a 12/1.2 lens,
because the absolute aperture hasn't been changed, and indeed the
viewfinder image looks brighter to me.  Therefore it seems to me an
adaptor is a better solution than a proper fisheye lens.  Is this right
or have I missed some salient point?

You've got a point if the adaptor uses the entire opening of the 28/2.8. If it does and it's about f/1.2 it would also explain why the image quality is so incredibly poor! I had one of these 0.42x adaptors years ago but I had to stop it down to f/11 (effectively f/5.6 or there abouts) on the main lens to have decent quality. I can't remember if I tried it for astro, but it would have been a disaster. The 0.12x Spiratone and Accura units from decades ago have a pretty good reputation, though. The nicest thing about the adaptors is they work for medium and large format too, where the cost of a real fisheye would be prohibitive for most of us (if available at all).

Regards,
Thomas Bryhn