Re: [OM] Circ. Polarizers - What brands?

Subject: Re: [OM] Circ. Polarizers - What brands?
From: James M Costello <jamie-nancy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 11:27:29 -0400
Tom Scales:

Thanks again for the warm welcome.  Actually, I did pick up a decent used
50/1.8 locally for about $35 (after losing a NIB "made in japan" on eBay
for $50.01 - guess what my bid was).   I probably will always spend a
little more than I should (everybody needs a vice, don't they?).    The
OM-1 needs a CLA badly.  The other problem I've created for myself over
the past few years is the "wrong battery" syndrome, known all-too-well to
all of you.    I'm thinking of sending the body off to Camtech or K&S in
California for the battery mod/update and a CLA as the foam is shot, as
well.

I have to admit to being captivated (in my ignorance) by the "fast glass
= great glass" obsession.    Those big 55mm filter lenses are sooooooo
seductive.     But you are of course right, I should find a decent 28/2.8
and learn to use it.

Hank:

Your remarks about the Tiffen and Hoya polarizer confirm things that
prople have told me over the years.    What is a CAT lens?

Thanks for the tip on the Ace Camera filter page.   Which brand of
polarizer was it that ruined "every phot taken through it"?

Tom Trottier:

The differences betweem the 2s, 3 and 4 would probably take me years to
learn.    I had thought of getting one (or more ... yikes!) of them to
handle the flash photography I'd like to do.    I keep reading though,
about peoples' problems with the circuit boards and the myriad of
batteries that power the camera's functions.    Spot metering would be
great.    Is there a trade-off between simplicity and utility that you
think makes one of the models a smarter choice over the others?

Marcin:

What made you pick the Hoya MC?   I notice neither you nor anyone else
mentioned the Oly polarizer.   Any particular reason?

Bernd:

We had a discussion on polarizers some time ago. I have a review
> made by the german Fotomagazin (september issue) on my homepage:
> http://www.i4.auc.dk/berndm/OM/. Look for the file plarizers.pdf.
> Unfortunately, the review is in german.

I wish I could translate German.    Maybe one of my German-Irish cousins
could ;-)

Jamie