Re: [OM] Cheap, fast CLA

Subject: Re: [OM] Cheap, fast CLA
From: Bill Stanke <bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 07:59:40 -0700
Mark,

If all you need is the foam seal replaced, then you can probably do the
job yourself.  John H. has instructions on his website at:

http://www.zuiko.com/index2.htm

The seal kit costs $6, plus $2 postage.

The instructions do a good job of explaining the procedure.  I have used
both Pliobond and Goo as the adhesive, and would strongly recommend Goo
for this job.  You will also need the Mikrotips to do a good job.  I
ordered the glue and Mikrotips from Walthers.  John has a link for them
on his site, but you should be able to find this stuff at a model
railroad/hobby shop.

The hardest part of the job is removing the old foam from the grooves.
You want something that is small enough to get into the grooves, but not
strong enough to gouge anything.  I used bamboo skewers from Walmart,
and nip off the point, to create a small chisel.  I wet down an area of
foam with denatured alcohol (applied with a Q-tip) and then follow it up
with the bamboo "chisel".  Stubborn areas may require repeated
applications.  I would remove the back for the entire operation, as it
gives you much better access.  I would also emphasize the need to
stretch the yarn as you insert it into the grooves.  The most important
thing is to be patient!

Good luck!

Bill Stanke