RE: [OM] This Idiot's Found a Kit

Subject: RE: [OM] This Idiot's Found a Kit
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 01:44:24 -0600
Not batteries.  I live in Grizzly country and this year even the black bears
are hungry and very aggressive. The 357 with the right ammunition would kill
a Griz but it would probably get me before it died unless I got in a very
good shot. Usually the spray is enough, if there is time to use it. Bears
usually attack when they are surprised so they typically come ripping out of
the brush and they can run about 35 miles per hour. The spray will stop them
(usually) and then the gun can be used if they persist on pressing the
attack. I also have a 44 magnum and a 454 Casull if more firepower is called
for but they are both much heavier and very bulky. I am fascinated by the
great bears and really don't want to kill them. For the most part they are
good neighbors and try to avoid humans. We usually don't see them in the
wild except in the National parks. When wandering in their neighborhood you
need to be prepared though. /jnm