Re: [OM] This Idiot's Found a Kit

Subject: Re: [OM] This Idiot's Found a Kit
From: "Bruce Hamm" <bhamm@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 21:07:31 -0400
Hi Daniel,

I own both the Lowepro Off Trail 1 & 2. At home, my  kit is usually kept in
a large, foam lined aluminium case. When I am heading out, I'll transfer
what I need into one of the Lowepros. The Off Trail 1 is very, very
comfortable to wear, in my opinion. A big reason for the comfort though is
the fact that it's due to be light because of its small size. It can fit
nothing larger than a body and 135mm attached, with an extra lens in each
side pouch. I purchased a couple of small Lowepro point & shoot style cases
and attached them to the belt strap, in order to be able to carry flash,
filters, extra film, etc. I think it would be perfect for when you go biking
with a small kit. The Off Trail 2 is considerable larger, and so a bit more
unwieldy. I can fill mine with a body with 80-200 f2.8 attached, plus 4-5
more lenses and flash plus filters and film. The combination of shoulder
strap and belt works well to carry the weight. I find the hip packs more
convenient than back packs because you don't have to constantly pull the
pack off your back to change lenses, filters etc. Everything is there in
front of you. However, one area where the back pack really comes in handy is
its ability to carry a second body. That's really not possible with most hip
packs. I've been very tempted to pick up the Mini Trekker lately so I can
carry even more stuff with me in the field. The new Domke Spider looks
interesting as well. I've also had my eye on the Lowepro Compact AW shoulder
bag.

One important thing to keep in mind is that you'll never find a bag or pack
that works well for all occasions. Maybe think about a small hip pack and a
back pack?

Bruce

Bruce Hamm
Ottawa, Canada