Re: [[OM] (Fwd) Using non-zuiko lenses with OM's]

Subject: Re: [[OM] (Fwd) Using non-zuiko lenses with OM's]
From: GFaulk7376@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 22:32:20 EDT
In a message dated 9/24/01 8:48:54 PM Central Daylight Time, garyetx@xxxxxxxx
writes:

> I have a Sigma 70-210 f/2.8 APO which I'm pretty fond of.  I know Sigma has
>  a dismal reputation for build quality, but this particular design seems
>  pretty substantial.

I think most of Sigma's poor reputation comes from their autofocus lenses.
Specifically, incompatibility with newly released camera models. I've got a
Sigma 180 F2.8 macro that is sharp and well built. I've also got the 14mm
rectilinear Sigma that seems to be well made. Sigma no longer makes manual
focus lenses, but they did offer in the mid '90's some nice lenses that fill
gaps in the Zuiko lineup like the above mentioned units. A heads up for
lovers of long lenses is in order. I got a chance to look at a Sigma 800 F
5.6 APO lens in an Oly mount last Saturday. I really doubted the existence of
this lens until I saw it in person. Manual focus versions of the 800 F5.6
were never listed as available in any Sigma literature or website info. The
owner is a Oly collector who lives in East Texas and is not a member of this
list. He shot professionally in the '60's and early '70's before retiring. He
bought in to the Oly system in the early '70's and has remained faithful
despite very poor vision and other physical problems. His photography
enjoyment is pretty much restricted to collecting and prior to the onset of
essential tremors, teaching. He's promised that if and when he sells, he'll
let other Oly lovers have first shot at the 800.

Gary Faulkenberry