Re: [OM] How to take a picture of a building at night

Subject: Re: [OM] How to take a picture of a building at night
From: "Alan" <atk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 23 Sep 2001 13:43:39 -0000
With regards to aperture - you can use it to control dept of field,
sharpness and shutter speed. In general my lenses seem to give optimal
performance between f4 and f16 (dependent on the lens). With regards to shutter
speed  - if there are people in the image and you want slight blurr to show
motion (people walking in/out) then you might aim for something around 1/15 to
1/2. If there are no people and wind is not an issue then 1, 2 or longer is
fine. Using the self-timer/prefire option is a good thing unless you want
some "action" in the image and moment of exposure if critical. In general,
I almost always use the timer rather then a cable release when possible (partly
due to lazyness...).

For night shots your images will probably turn out a bit yellow/orangy.
Personally, I've been very happy with my results on fuji superia REALA (I
should scan a few). You can use filters to correct the colour. I've heard
velvia turns a yucky greenish on long exposure and astia is much better (for
slide users).

Alan