Re: [OM] Vivitar 2x macro focusing teleconverter?

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar 2x macro focusing teleconverter?
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 17:31:11 -0400
At 01:19 PM 9/22/01 -0700, M. Royer wrote:

The other 2 were 2 brand new Vivitar 2x
macro focusing telecoverters.

[snip]

I have never seen these on Evilbay (granted I never
really looked either),

They're offered there quite frequently. The going price varies but seems to top out at ~$50. I got one there awhile back that almost mint, included the case, with a high bid of $26 if I remember correctly.

but the macro feature intrigues
me. Does it actually work? Does it work well?

Yes, gives 1:1 with a 50mm lens.

If anyone could give me any input on this item, its
quality of construction and quality of picture it
produces and so forth I'd much appreciate it.

The construction is 1st rate (it's of a seven element design) and the quality of the pictures is acceptable to me. I personally wouldn't depend on it as my only macro combination but I think it's more than adequate to use in a light travel kit where macro work won't be the primary focus. I'll be packing mine for a trip to Yellowstone Park in a couple of weeks.

That said though - I personally wouldn't pay the $150 retail for one. You should be able to do a lot better if you look around for a bit.

Later,
Johnny