Re: [OM] One camera, one lens

Subject: Re: [OM] One camera, one lens
From: Henrik Dahl <hdahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 21:37:15 +0200
This reminds me of when I first started out in journalism. I was fairly young, fresh out of grad school, and my initial assignment for a small daily in northern Wisconsin was to shoot a high-school wrestling meet, held in Minocqua as I recall. One of the kids injured himself and so right away there I was hovering over the coaches and fathers and other wrestlers, snapping dutifully away with my trusty Olympus. Soon enough one of the onlookers took umbrage with this and he, too, remonstrated. On this occasion cooler heads prevailed, one gentleman physically hauling the protester away to explain that I worked for a local paper, I was only doing my job . . . .

Everyone has his own notion on issues of privacy and decency and all that, and common sense only gets you so far. I imagine at a certain juncture a photographer must find the ground he is most comfortable to stand on with these questions in mind.

Tris

When travelling in countries where photography is more or less forbidden, due to f. ex. religion, I often say that I work for a newspaper (which I don't) and then it's OK to take a shot. Come to think of it, isn't it strange that if I state that I may publish their face all over, I get to take the photograph, but if I want to take one for my most private collection (i.e. for almost noone to see) it's a no no.

(Some of you may think I'm a lousy person lying like that, but I can assure you it's not for taking advantage of people but simply to get nice pictures to show to myself, my wife and a couple of friends. I *do* respect culture in the countries I go to.)

Henrik Dahl