RE: [OM] Digital question; when does touch-up become cheating?

Subject: RE: [OM] Digital question; when does touch-up become cheating?
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 21:21:18 -0600
> So, if you want to share an image that you took with an OM camera and
Zuiko
> lens and a certain film, and want to share it as a true representation of
> the original image, I'd stick to the first case. Simply use the tools to
> bring the scanned image into line with the original. I seldom see a raw
scan
> that is 'right on'. A little work is usually required.

 Okay, that sounds like a good way to do things, and that's what I just did
with the scans. As it turns out, unsharp mask makes a fairly large number of
the shots look _very_ peculiar, because there's so much detail in them that
it ends up looking really fake and unnatural somehow. There were some that
needed a bit of work, but not a lot.

 (oh, and as for the '..with a zuiko lens', that part I'm still working on,
much to my shame. finances somewhat get in the way there. I'm trying, but
currently my priorities are on buying film, getting it printed, and using
the results working out the order in which to upgrade to Zuiko..)

> So, use your clone tool, use your unsharp mask and adjust your saturation
> and brightness as needed. Then share it with the group so we may all
> benefit.

 and done; see next post.

 Thanks for the advice! I'm still tempted to play with the GIMP (free
photoshop clone; excellent, if a bit touchy to install) a bit more and see
what I can get out of photos, but I certainly agree with your basic
principles.

 Much as I'd like to pretend I'm a better photographer than I am, that'll
have to come with more practise, I guess -- and it's surprising how much
improvement I can get just with judicious cropping, when all's said and
done.

 Somewhere (here?) I recently read that the art of painting is putting
things into the image, and the art of photography is removing things from
the image. Once I'd realised that, it made an _amazing_ difference to how
many junk shots I got. Sure, I still need to work on it, but looking through
the viewfinder and thinking 'okay, if I take this photo it'll look like a
pretty shot of a bridge by a lake _with a telephone pole in the middle_'.
It's all too easy to just not 'see' the things that ruin the shot, and now
I'm trying very hard to remember to look for them..

 -- dan