[OM] Digital question; when does touch-up become cheating?

Subject: [OM] Digital question; when does touch-up become cheating?
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 17:50:49 -0600
 Just scanned in a bunch of photos from a biking trip, and I'm going over
them doing a bit of touch-up before putting them up on a web page.

 Question: when is it 'cheating' to use image tools to make the image look
nicer?

 I feel precisely zero guilt about a bit of clone tool here and there to get
rid of dust specks; that's not really making the picture better, it just
saves me from my own carelessness (and the trail was pretty dusty, anyway..)
Similarly, cropping is fine, because heck, you can do that to prints easily
enough as well.

 A lot of people here say they use 'unsharp mask' almost by default, so I
guess that's okay -- what about playing with the levels to improve contrast
if I messed the exposure up? (trickier: what about playing with the levels
to improve contrast if _the sun was behind a cloud_?)

 (oh, and another scanner-related question -- why does it take 3 times as
long to scan a matt print as a glossy one? I tried scanning matts on the
'glossy' setting, and they looked dreadful, so there's definitely something
going on; does anyone know what it is? I'd expect matt would be _easier_ to
scan because there's less glare, but it seems not..)

 -- dan