Re: [OM]Minolta XD-11

Subject: Re: [OM]Minolta XD-11
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 21:54:28 -0700
on 9/17/01 8:14 AM, Timpe, Jim at Jim.Timpe@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I had 'loaned with the option to buy' a little Olympus kit to a friend from
> work's wife about two months ago.  It was an OM-PC with a zuiko 50/1.8 and a
> Tokina 35-135 zoom.  She really likes it so far, but he's an old Min*lta
> fan, and he went and bought an XD-11 from the dread E*ay this weekend.
> Don't know if he'll win out or his wife.  She seems to really like the PC.
> Maybe I should have included a zuiko zoom instead of the Tokina.
>
> Anyone out there familiar with this iteration of Min*lta body?  Looks pretty
> sophisticated for its age.

Well, I think about Afghanistan... just kidding! A post actually about
cameras:

I have a couple of that vintage Minoltas, though not an XD-11. I have an
XG-1 and an XG-M and an XG-7. These have electronically-controlled shutter
with a good range of speeds, LED viewfinder readouts. They support winders
and motors, but don't do TTL flash. I haven't used these cameras but long
ago I used a Minolta SRT-101. Rokkor lenses are generally pretty good,
although I believe the older Minolta lenses were better than the newer
lenses, which have what looks like a lot of plastic in them. I've never used
a Maxxum so I can't speak to the new AF models. Minoltas up to the X-700 can
use all the lenses all the way back to the mid-1960's I think, and the newer
ones do have TTL flash with Minolta flash units... The Minolta camera is
quite a bit larger than an OM... which could be good if you have large
hands.
--

Jim Brokaw