RE: [OM] List name change

Subject: RE: [OM] List name change
From: John Pendley <jpendley@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 21:48:16 -0400
Dear friends,

Bickering is normal amongst family and friends; but this has reached a stage when I have to choose a side. Maybe some OT posts about last Tuesday and its aftermath have been ill judged. Perhaps some of the writers should have thought more before posting angry, inflammatory, and repeated messages; or perhaps, under the circumstances, that is far too much to expect. I have been more or less on the sidelines, but--intemperate or not--I have to understand, even admire, those people who simply could not hold there feelings inside. It is not required that I agree with all of them.

The biggest reason I would not willingly part with this list is the *people* I've met here. I've said this before, but it seems elaboration is required now. I've learned something about a truly generous spirit from Tom Scales and Brian Huber. I've learned more about photography than everything I ever knew and everything I ever forgot, combined, from John Lind, along with an unstinting willingness to share that know-how. I've learned a canny business sense from Doris Fang (oh, where is Doris when we need her?). I've learned the technical side of the Oly world, and a good deal about unselfish help, from Gary Reese. And I've learned that these people are willing--they even feel it a duty--to repeat the same basic information, patiently, for each newcomer (and each one, like me, who knew but forgot). Susan Steele is a friend; all the people I've mentioned, and many I've neglected to mention simply because my memory is in pieces, are friends. I'd give a lot to sit down with any one of you, or better yet, all of you, and have a beer.

To some, the OT content since last Tuesday has been a nuisance. I can understand their frustration. I confess that I haven't read it all, myself; and some of what I have read has not impressed me, even disturbed me. But if ever there has been a time when it's appropriate to cut folks some slack, it is now. How can we not be consumed and overwhelmed by recent events, events that have no parallel in world history, for goodness sake. (At least, the bombings of Germany, England, and Japan, when entire cities were obliterated, took place during a declared war when we knew who the opponent was and had every reason to expect he was coming after us.) So we've strayed way OT; we've always felt free to do that, and at least this is a more deserving occasion for it than the Oben (or whoever he is) uproar. We've just started playing *baseball* again today in the US (my Braves just lost), and football has yet to recommence. (To those of us who are not US citizens, these sports are virtual religions here.) How can we not be talking about what is incomprehensible and yet true? And who better to hear our feelings than our friends? For those of you who would like to form a new list, don't worry: we'll return to normalcy at about the same time the rest of the world does. I'm terribly afraid that we've not seen the worst of this business yet, and I'm not going to abandon this list in hard times.

My best regards to all,
John