Re: [OM] OTF: Reliable? NOT!

Subject: Re: [OM] OTF: Reliable? NOT!
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 17:56:02 +0200
: Interesting, as I bought my last OM-2 in the summer of 79, when I worked
in
: a camera store in San Diego.  That must have been when I bought the T32 as
: well.  We never had any OM-2n bodies, or I would have bought one. The body
: must have come out later in the year.

1979 was the year when the OM-2 / QA310 combi was replaced with the OM-2n /
T System. Regarding the body, you bought old stock ;)

: On the other hand, the OM-2 HAD to have been designed for the T-flash, or
: the circuitry wouldn't have been able to handle the Shoe 3.

It's very likely that the T System was designed together with the original
OM-2, but that Olympus simply didn't have enough production capacity for
this System. So they modified the QA 300 (designed for the OM-1, introduced
about one year later) into the QA 310 to do TTL/OTF with the OM-2.

According to Pangerl's "Blitzfotografie ohne Grenzen" (Edition Olympus 5,
1981) the first T flash was introduced in 1979 (the same year as the OM-2n
was introduced). This was the T20. The next two flashes in the System were
the T32 and T10; they were introduced in 1980. If you bought yours in 1979,
it must have been a no-good prototype ;)

Most T System accessories were also available at that time. The T8 and both
T28's were introduced (or announced) in 1983 according to Edition Olympus 6,
Ausgabe 83/84, "Das Lexikon des OM-Systems". The T45 was introduced in 1984,
together with the OM-3 and OM-4.

hnz