RE: [OM] [Somewhat OT] Decisions, Decisions!

Subject: RE: [OM] [Somewhat OT] Decisions, Decisions!
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 16:19:04 -0600
> Will the scanner be obsolete junk in two years?
> Will Polaroid be in business if I need support?
>
> So, what do you think guys?  Leica or Polaroid?

 I don't think Polaroid will go out of business, and I think it's pretty
unlikely to be that out-of-date in two years -- but at the same time, the
Leica will be _less_ out-of-date in two years.. I'd buy the camera. Why:

 If you buy the scanner but not the camera, you can do more things with your
existing photos.

 If you buy the camera but not the scanner, you can _get_ more photos to do
things with.

 Alternative perspective: if you don't get the scanner, the film is still
there to scan later on, and I'd be very surprised if you can't still find
cheap film scanners a year/two years/etc from now. If you don't get the
camera, the picture-taking opportunities may well never be there again.

 (A generic flatbed scanner will be cheap and certainly get your images onto
a PC; sure, not as high-res and easily as a slide/film scanner, but it
should let you start working out what you can do with scanned images).

 -- dan