Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Attacks on the U.S.

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Attacks on the U.S.
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 17:22:55 -0300
On 9/11/01 1:58 PM, "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> After today's events, I will NEVER again complain and grumble about airport
> security, and I hope we nuke the hell out of Afganastan, where I'm sure this
> whole operation was concocted, and incinerate every last one of those
> towel-headed religious fanatics.
>
> A really pissed off Walt Wayman

I understand where you are coming from here. The attacks on the US today are
outrageous and shocking. However, I think the need for cooler heads to
prevail is clear. In times like this it is all to easy to react out of anger
and rage. Anger and rage is what likely created the tragedies today and more
of it will not do anything to remedy that but will instead result in a cycle
of more tragedies.

While those responsible should be brought to justice, indiscriminate use of
nuclear weapons is not the best way to do this. That will just result in the
lose of more innocent lives. I think we can all agree that too many
innocents have already died as a result of this. Not to mention the
prolonged environmental effects of such action or the potential for nuclear
retaliation.

It's impossible to know the motives of those involved in this attack at this
time but in our search for retribution we should be careful to only punish
those that are responsible. If we do not, then we will only create motives
for others to perform similar attacks.

Rather than lash out in rage, we should do what we can in the wake of this
tragedy. Donate blood, donate food and/or money to relief efforts, volunteer
for relief if you can. Personally, I'm on the east coast of Canada and will
be seeing if I can take a leave of absence from work in order to help with
any relief efforts, even if it's only helping the thousands of travellers
that are landing in my city because of being diverted from the US.

I read an interesting quote last night that said the first casualty of war
is always the truth. I think that the truth died a long time ago for the
people involved in staging this attack, because I don't know how the the
truth could ever lead people to believe that such an act is the right thing
to do. I think now is the time to begin searching for the truth behind these
actions and act from that.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx