Re: [OM] The E-10 -- what about it?

Subject: Re: [OM] The E-10 -- what about it?
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 18:58:22 -0500
On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 05:33:28PM -0500, Tom Scales wrote:
> I have an opportunity to buy an E-10 at a favorable price.  What's the
> general reaction to it for sports.  Is the shutter lag too bad?  Is the
> shutter speed and autofocus fast enough?

I just had a very unusual experience...

I'm in NYC for the week, so I bopped on down to B&H to play with an E-10.
The camera feels good to me, and the lag isn't too bad *if* it doesn't have
to focus too far. The 1/640 shutter speed and f/11 minimum aperture seem to
be a bit limiting in full daylight, though. I could easily live with one,
though, especially since the whole viewfinder *and* display are visible with
glasses.

The salesman talked me out of buying one! We talked a bit about my current
equipment and wants, and he was of the opinion that I'd be happier with the
results of shooting slide film (he was not impressed with the ease of use
and consistency and dynamic range exhibited by negative film) and using a
scanner on it...and he suggested that I look at both the Nikon LS-30 and the
LS-4000 (and that the LS-30 might well be enough for my needs).

Tom, you should get the E-10 in the name of "get 'em all". It's certainly a
very usable camera, and the results will tell you more than anything else.
Besides, if you get it for the right price, you may well be able to turn it
for what you've got in it. (Maybe even to me.)