Re: [OM] Compensating fgr skin tone (Was Another question)

Subject: Re: [OM] Compensating fgr skin tone (Was Another question)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2001 10:18:43 +0000
ÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌ

From: Doggre@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 9/2/01 7:25:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time, GMcGrath@xxxxxxx
writes:

> To get a "correct" exposure onto the film, if you were metering Caucasian
>  skin you need to remember that proper exposure is +1 from middle gray

Any info. on exposure compensation for black folk?  I know they come in all
shades from "caucasian" to jet black, but was just wondering.  I have a
wonderful black co-worker with a million dollar smile that I want to take
some portraits of.  Portraiture is new to me.  I have a roll of Kodak 160 NC,
the 85/2, and the OM-2S is a whole lot smarter than I am... but I would sure
appreciate any "tips".  Haven't decided indoors vs. outdoors yet.  May do
both if she's willing & patient.  I will bracket.  That much I know.
Thanks.

Using portrait print film (e.g., Kodak Portra 160 NC), I have found that with average dark skin, you want to set your exposure for +2 above middle grey (+1 for average Caucasian skin tones). This is equivalent to setting your ISO speed for Kodak Portra 160 NC to 40 ISO for dark skin (or 80 ISO for Caucasians). I vary this basic exposure depending on the deviation from average tones for both Caucasians and dark color skin folks. Since other skin tone groups generally fall between these two extremes, I compensate accordingly. The skin tones for "darks" deviate so widely that learning to shoot them alone is great training for shooting other skin color groups. In fact, "darks" overlap all skin color groups save for albinos.
[two paragraph snip]

John

A little late in the thread . . .
Found this browsing around on zuga.net and it's a different approach to dark skin tones. Thought it might be of interest as it uses cross lighting techniques to bring out highlights versus exposure compensation.
  http://www.zuga.net/freelessons/People%20of%20Color.asp

-- John

N¬?ë,j°jÇ^?+Þ­ço?«axér??¬1¨¥?x
?ËE¢º®zËb¢{&j)m¢?'zº%Êjn±?¢??%±·ig?=¨?Ûiÿön?J,?ÆÜq¯ì¸ ?ßè?)©ºÉb²Øm?