Re: [OM] [OT] CCD vs scanner

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] CCD vs scanner
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 18:32:31 -0700
on 8/29/01 10:17 AM, Tom Scales at tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Heck, I would sell everything OM I
> have and buy a decent D1 kit, but I'm not.
>
> Course, I want one that feels like an OM-1.
>
> Tom

I'm lined up already, Tom! <g>

I think the digital cameras will approach film when the size of the image
sensor gets closer to 24mm x 36mm, and the pixel density approaches 10M per
image. The image still won't be a good as a high-res slide, but that will
probably exceed the imaging resolution of the snapshot prints from common
photo-finishing. The ultimate resolution is dependent on every image
processing device in the chain, so the fewer the better, and film benefits
from being 'digital' at the molecular level, CCD's aren't quite there yet.
At the rate things improve I think we are still 5-10 years away from a
digital camera offering the resolution and color imaging quality of film as
well as allow 5-frame-per-second exposures. That's simply a LOT of digital
information to process in very little time. To me, image-wise nothing is
quite as nice as a well-exposed slide projected about 6 ft. across
--

Jim Brokaw