Re: [OM] Bokeh links: Case for Ag-SCHNOZZES?

Subject: Re: [OM] Bokeh links: Case for Ag-SCHNOZZES?
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 23:37:30 EDT
Mike's bokeh link:
<< http://mikedarling.dyndns.org/frames/files/ >>

'Bokeh' always reminds me of 'bouquet' which seems to bring to mind the
mixture of colours and scents, etc. in a flower garden, all merging into one
another, which is often how we also see bokeh on macro photos.

Not quite the same in black-and-white or if you have hay fever.

I found loads more pieces on the internet about bokeh, but most say similar
things, although there are one or two pretty good articles about it. Many
tend to praise Le*ca lenses' bokeh characteristics (yes, I know!), and they
give hints that some of the old Le*ca lenses may have nicer bokeh even if
they are not quite as 'technically sharp' as some of the newer versions. A
bit of art vs science, or difference in emphasis anyway.

Interesting - maybe Ken can make a case for silvernoses.  ;-)

Obligatory [OM] content: I like the bokeh on my 85mm f/2 Zuiko I got a week
ago, and I'm looking for ways to use it!

>From a Le*ca list:
Peter Hughes August 01, 2001.
<< But there is much more to the character of a lens than sharpness, which is
why many photographers--especially the ones who have recovered from the
"latest is greatest" fever--prefer older lenses. >>

Tamron 90/2.8 bokeh pictures. I like my 90/2.5 bokeh a bit better I think,
although I dont think the pics on this link were taken wide open:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Workshop/8827/TamronBokeh.html

Links:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/bokeh.htm
http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/technics/optics01/lensdesign01.html
http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/technics/faq.html
http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/magazine/threegen.html
http://www.canon.com/do-info/
http://www.foto.no/nikon/lens_surv.html
http://nemeng.com/leica/

"Bokeh" by Peter Zimmerman.
http://www.slonet.org/~dkrehbie/bokeh/bokeh.htm

A Technical View of Bokeh:
http://fox.nstn.ca/~hmmerk/HMArtls.html#anchor26001
http://fox.nstn.ca/~hmmerk/HMBooks.pdf
http://fox.nstn.ca/~hmmerk/DOFR.html
http://fox.nstn.ca/~hmmerk/

Minox Historical Society: Bokeh:
http://www.minox.org/bokeh.html

Focusing for Astrophotography - Camera Lens
http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/FOCUS/FOCUS034.HTM

what a lens design sacrifices for sharpness
http://hv.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=005uFo

Bokeh-Shmokeh?
http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=005rYD

Bokeh: Various Questions:
http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000fFO

Le*ca Test vs Trial part 2 and Re [Le*ca] Diffraction limited; bo-ke:
http://mejac.palo-alto.ca.us/leica-users/v18/msg09754.html
http://mejac.palo-alto.ca.us/leica-users/v17/msg11954.html

Re: "If it ain't bokeh, don't fix it!" or "So Confused I'm going in Circles.
http://www.lynnfarmerphoto.net/35MMBoard/messages/2dqtr99/3896.html

Other messages:
http://www.lynnfarmerphoto.net/35MMBoard/messages/3dqtr99/5343.html
http://digistar.com/rollei/1999-09/0629.html

*YAWN* Time for bed, methinks. More pictures to take tomorrow!

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/