[OM] 1-10 screen. Bright centre. Good compared with Beatties?

Subject: [OM] 1-10 screen. Bright centre. Good compared with Beatties?
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 23:37:24 EDT
Hello,

Any comments on the 1-10 screen comaped with Beattie matte screens?

I had a clean-up and dusting of all my focusing screens a week ago or so, and
decided to change the normal 1-13(?) screen on the OM-2N for this 1-10. I
thought I would try some focussing on the ground glass instead of relying on
split image / microprism all the time.

[For those who don't know, the 1-10 has all over matte for focussing, and has
3 horizontal and 5 vertical narrow ruled lines to allow checking of
perspective with the 35mm (and now 24mm) shift lenses. These divide the
screen area into 7mm squares roughly.]

Using this screen on the OM-2N has been a bit of a revelation, especially
with the 85/2, 50/1.8 and 35/2 lenses.

Are the Beattie screens even nicer to use than this 1-10 is? I especially
like the central part of the 1-10 which seems to be a bit brighter and finer
than the rest of the matte screen area. By using it, especially with the
faster lenses, I am really getting a different feel for focusing than I do
with the 'normal' 'default' screen.

Any comments?

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/